Simon Ekpa Biography: Real name, Age, wife, career, Life, IPOB’s Nnamdi Kanu, controversy
Below are what to know about Simon Ekpa Biography: Real name, Age, wife, career, Life, IPOB’s Nnamdi Kanu, controversy:
Simon Ekpa was born on 21 March 1985 in Ohaukwu local government area of Ebonyi State. Prior to his activism, he won a silver medal for Nigeria in 100 meters in the 2003 African Junior Athletics Championships in Cameroon. Ekpa has lived in Lahti, Finland since 2007. He is a member of the National Coalition Party of Finland, and was a candidate in the 2022 Finnish county elections.
Simon Ekpa Controversy and incitement:
According to reporting by Yle, Simon Ekpa’s activism started to gather mainstream attention in February 2023. Finland, with calls to investigate his activities and to determine if his alleged incitement fills the legal definitions for incitement against ethnic groups. The local Kokoomus parti in Lahti stated that they have started an internal investigation of these claims. Orji Anya Odim, representing the association Igbo Union Finland, stated in the same interview, “He should stop inciting hatred and provoking. Ekpa does not represent the Igbo people of Finland”.
The Nigerian government has also demanded Finland stop Ekpa’s activities.
Many live in fear in Nigeria of Ekpa. Yle travelled to Enugu to interview locals. When Ekpa has issued “stay at home” orders involving the Nigeria elections, many in Enugu seem to heed this. Some, however, said they would go despite the stay at home orders. In late February 2023 Yle reported Ekpa is being suspected of having raised funds in an illegal manner, by the Keskusrikospoliisi.
How Simon Ekpa join Nnamdi Kanu and the IPOB broadcaster:
Ekpa is a Nigerian Finnish-based lawyer. He rose to prominence when he was made lead broadcaster for Radio Biafra, associated with the separatist organisation Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) after the arrest of political activist Nnamdi Kanu. After some weeks, he was sacked as the lead broadcaster citing violation of the rules of the organisation.
Simon Ekpa’s wife and children:
Simon Ekpa is married to a Finnish woman, and they’re blessed with children.
Here are some things you may not know about Simon Ekpa:
- He became the director of the secessionist radio station, Radio Biafra, after the arrest of Nnamdi Kanu.
- Simon Ekpa’s real name is reportedly Ifeanyi Njoku, according to some critics who believed he’s acting under a false name to incite violence.
- Simon Ekpa graduated from Aberystwyth University, Wales.
- He represented Nigeria at the 2003 African Junior Athletics Championships in Cameroon, where he won a silver medal flying the green and white flag.
- Simon moved to Finland in 2007.
- He was a member of the Finland Military Reserve Force.
- He lived in Lahti, Finland, where he joined the National Coalition Party of Finland and was a candidate in the 2022 Finnish county elections.
- Simon is married to a Finnish woman, and they’re blessed with children.
- Simon was a Member of the Transportation Board at the City of Lahti.
- He also served as a Deputy Lahti Construction and Environmental Board member.
- The arrested pro-Biafra agitator has lived in Lahti, Finland since 2007. He is a member of the National Coalition Party of Finland and was a candidate in the 2022 Finnish county elections.
- Ekpa gained visibility after he became the lead broadcaster for Radio Biafra after the arrest of the IPOB leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. He was later relieved of his duty after he was said to have breached the organistaion’s rules.
- The separatist agitator was known for allegedly inciting violence in South-Eastern Nigeria through his broadcasts and sit-at-home orders.