Things to know about CP Okon Effiong Okon
CP Okon Effiong Okon has become one of the prominent Commissioners of Police in Nigeria with his vast knowledge for the job of policing and intelligence gathering. There are many things people don’t know about the current Commissioner of Police in Rivers State and his profile.
The Cross River State born Okon Effiong Okon has attained prestigious height in his career and profession.
In this post, we will break down some of the things that need to be known about CP Okon Effiong Okon:
CP Okon Effiong Okon joined the Nigeria Police Force as a Cadet Officer in March 1990. Attended several professional courses which includes: Advance Detective Course in 1992; Combat Operation Course in 1994; Junior Command Course in 2000; Tactical Command Course in 2006; Internal Security Operation Course in 2006; Basic and Intermediate Intelligence Courses in 2007/2008 and a couple of International Training Conferences.
He has worked as Divisional Traffic, Administration and Crime Officer, 1992-1994; Police Mobile Force Unit Commander, 1994-2001; Imo State Anti Crime outfit Commander, 2001-2006; Command and Zonal Security/Criminal Intelligence Officer, 2007-2009; Divisional Police Officer, 2009-2011; Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) Ops Intelligence, Force Headquarters Abuja and Security Intelligence Officer, Special Task Force, Jos, 2011-2012; Assistant Force Secretary, Force Headquarters Abuja, 2013-2014; Area Command Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Dept. Abuja 2014-2015.
CP Okon Effiong Okon has been involved in Ad hoc assignments such as: Internal Security Operations in Rivers State, 1995-1996; Bayelsa State, 1997, and Delta State, 1998-2000. Member, Nigeria Police Sports Management and Planning Committee, 2005-2013.
On October 20, 2022, Okon Effiong Okon who is the immediate past Commandant, Police College, Oji River, Enugu State became the 43rd Commissioner of Police in Rivers State, succeeding Friday Eboka.
Okon hails from Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.
During his media briefing in December 2022, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Okon Effiong Okon, gave details of his achievements in the State from October to December 2022:
1. RESCUE OF KIDNAPPED VICTIM/RECOVERY OF SNATCHED VEHICLE: On 05/10/2022, Operatives of the Command attached to Octopus Strike Force acting on credible information that a kidnapped victim was kept at greater city Igwuruta in Ikwerre Local Government Area by his abductors, stormed the hide out on the same date, and rescued one Ogadi Eze ‘m’ who was kidnapped on 20/09/2022. The victim’s Highlander Jeep with Registration Number BWR 603 HH and one unregistered black color Toyota Corolla Saloon Registration No. Rivers BNY 677 AH that was Car snatched along Ndoni Street G.R.A, port Harcourt were recovered, Investigation ongoing.
2. RECOVERY OF AK49 RIFLE, AK47 RIFLE AND FOURTY-EIGHT ROUNDS OF 7.62MM LIVE AMMUNITION: Operatives acting on credible intelligence embarked on a sting operation and raided a criminal hideout within Ogbogoro in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area. Metropolis on 26/10/2022. During the raid, one AK 49 Military Rifle with breech number 1962BF390, one AK 47 rifle with breech number 56-24005906 and seventy-eight (78) rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition were recovered.
3. ARREST OF NOTORIOUS ARMED ROBBERY/KIDNAPPING SUSPECTS, RECOVERY OF TWO ASSAULT-RIFLES, ONE LOCALLY MADE REVOLVER SHOT GUN, TWO MAGAZINES, 18 ROUNDS OF 5.56MM LIVE AMMUNITION AND OPERATIONAL VEHICLE: On 01/11/2022, at about 1700hrs, Operatives of Octopus Strike force stormed Rumuekini in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area. And arrested some Hoodlums responsible for the kidnap of three persons (names withheld). One of them was kidnapped along Rumuola Bye-Pass, Port Harcourt, the second victim was kidnapped at a petrol station along Rumuokoro axis Port Harcourt, and the third person kidnapped along Warri Street, Oroworokwo, Port Harcourt. In the course of investigation, the suspects confessed to have received payment as ransom in both local and foreign currencies before releasing their victims. Two Assault-rifles with breech Numbers 01544 and 29232, one locally made revolver shot gun, two magazines, 18 rounds of 5.56mm live ammunition, 4 type AAA live cartridges and their operational vehicle, one black color Lexus EX 330, with registration number KWL 737TK were recovered.
4. RECOVERY OF ONE ENGLISH MADE PISTOL AND AMMUNITION: On 06/11/2022 at about 1245hrs, Operatives of the Command on routine patrol along Ohwonda Street, Mile 3 Diobu Port Harcourt, intercepted two suspicious looking men. The suspects immediately took to their heels abandoning a black-hand bag. Upon searching the said bag, one English made pistol without breech number and two rounds of 0.9mm live ammunition, and some substances suspected to be hard drugs were recovered. Efforts are in top gear to arrest the fleeing suspects.
5. RECOVERY OF SNATCHED VEHICLE: On 06/11/2022 at about 2200hrs, team of undercover detectives along Kaduna Flyover by Fruit Garden, accosted two hoodlums armed with Locally made Pistols, in a process of snatching a black color Nissan Sunny Saloon Car with Registration Number MUS 102 CJ from one Paul Ebune ‘m’. Upon sighting the Police, the hoodlums opened fire at the Police detective. In the gun battle that ensued, one of the hoodlum was neutralized. The arm was recovered. Meanwhile, efforts are ongoing with a view to arresting the other fleeing suspect.
6. RECOVERY OF FIREARM: On 09/11/2022, at about 1300hrs, Joint Tactical Patrol Team of the Command while on surveillance patrol in Ogbologbolo Community in Ahoada-West Local Government Area, ran into a blockade, mounted by suspected armed robbers. On sighting the Police, the hoodlums engaged the Police in a gun battle/consequently abandoned one AK47 Rifle with no visible breech number, four empty magazines and one 7.62mm live ammunition, which were recovered as exhibits.
7. RESCUE OF ABDUCTED VICTIMS: On 9/12/2022, undercover patrol team attached to CP. Monitoring Unit while on observation patrol, along Ogbogoro axis recued two girls namely Victoria surname withheld age 16yrs ‘f’ and Vivian surname withheld age 18yrs at an uncompleted building where they were hypnotize and abducted from Elelewon and Rumolumeni respectively. Efforts is in top gear to arrest their abductors while victims already reunited with families.
8. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY/KIDNAPPING SUSPECTS RECOVERY OF FIREARM, AMMUNITION AND VEHICLE: On 12/11/2022 at about 1100hrs, Operatives of the Command while acting on intelligence trailed an armed robbery syndicate (names withheld) One locally made single Barrel Gun with 10 live cartridges and one maroon color Lexus RX 330 Car with registration number CAL 678 DU and two other vehicle plate numbers LND 146 CW, BWR 906 BT were recovered.
9. RECOVERY OF ONE ENGLISH MADE PUMP ACTION GUN, ONE LOCALLY MADE DOUBLE BARREL GUN AND ELEVEN ROUNDS OF LIVE CARTRIDGES: On 17/11/22, following mop-up on illegal arms and ammunition, Operatives of the Command stormed a criminal hideout at Botem Ogoni Road in Tai local Government Area, Rivers State. The hoodlums on sighting the Police opened fire on the operatives. In the gun battled that ensued, the hoodlums escaped into a nearby bush with gunshot injuries abandoning an English made Pump Action Gun, one Locally made Double Barrel Gun and Eleven (11) type AAA live cartridges. Exhibit recovered while manhunt for the fleeing suspects in ongoing.
10. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERS/ RECOVERY OF FIREARM AND AMMUNITION: On 20/11/2022, a distress call was received from Control Room that a Red color Toyota Corolla with registration Number BLK 332 AZ was snatched at gunpoint along Egbelu Ogbogoro in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area. Operatives of C4i Intelligence were immediately mobilized to the scene and recovered the vehicle at Eliokpokpodu Rukpokwu on 21/11/2022 at about 1700hrs with one single Barrel Gun and three cartridges. Investigation on going.
11. ARREST OF ROBBERY SUSPECT: On 22/12/2022, Operatives of Intelligence and Surveillance center on routine patrol at Eligbam Orazi were the DA Blink CCTV Camera 4G installed by Rivers State Government was vandalized and stolen by one Ifeanyi John ‘m’ aged 22yrs old, David Thompson ‘m’ aged 22yrs old and exhibit recovery from them, efforts on top gear to arrest other fleeing suspects while investigatin ongoing.
12. ARREST OF KIDNAPPERS: On 24/11/2022, some hoodlums that kidnapped one Mr. Seni Awosika MD of KIPES Group Gas and Oil Company and the Project Manager at Rumuokoro flyover Port Harcourt. That kidnap suspects claimed the lives of three Mobile Police Officers. Operatives of the Command swung into action and arrested trailing the hoodlums.On 1/12/2022, one of the suspected kidnappers was arrested in Port Harcourt. As investigation continued. On 03/12/2022 some of the Kidnappers left their Camp to negotiate the payment and exchange of United State Dollar collected as ransom to Naira. The Police Operatives C4i Intelligence Unit traced them to Edepie Junction in Yenegoa Bayelsa state. In the gun battle that ensued, the leader of the Police team was shot on the leg. Two of the kidnappers were neutralized. The sum of One Thousand Seven Hundred US Dollars ($1,700 .00) was recovered from the hoodlums. Subsequently, further investigation led to the arrest of two other members of the eight man gang.
13. ARREST OF SUSPECT IN POSSESSION OF PROHIBITED FIRE ARMS AND OPERATING ILLEGAL SECURITY OUTFIT: On 01/12/2022, on a follow-up case transferred from Enugu State to Rivers State Command intercepted one black Free lander Jeep with Registration LSR 561 BL with three occupants namely one Akinolu Olugbenga ‘m’ aged 36yrs, Sunday Ogbuji ‘m’ aged 32yrs, Alabi Elisha ‘m’ 30yrs. wearing unknown camouflage uniform and were carrying three Locally made Revolver Pump Action Gun. After the Operatives of the Command have taken custody of the suspects, they led them to the Operational Office at Omoku in Ogba/Egbem/Ndoni Local Government Area were one Ahoada Amahobu ‘m’ aged 44yrs and Azuazu Godson ‘m’ aged 36yrs and Eze Nwachukwu ‘m’ aged 22yrs and Eketu Simeon ‘m’ aged 44yrs were arrested with an English made pump action breech number P795048 and two Cartridges recovered from the suspects, charged to court
14. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECT AND RECOVERY OF FIREARM: In a related development, on 04/12/2022 at about 0340hrs, Operatives of Octopus Strike Force, acting on creditable information along Ada George Road in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, Rivers State, arrested one Ekebuisi Nwokocha ‘m’ aged 21yrs and recovered a riot Gunner with breech number 224008 from him.
15. ARREST OF A NOTORIOUS CULTIST/KIDNAPPERS: On 4/12/2022, at about 0120hrs, Operatives of Ahoada Division base on credible information stormed a criminal hideout at Ama Haiwa Axis in Ahoada Government Area in Rivers State, and arrested one Chukwuemaka Raymond ‘m’ aged 21yrs old, Friday King ‘m’ aged 23yrs. Exhibit recovered from them, one locally made single barrel gun that uses AK47 rifle ammunition with four live ammunitions, one Daylong Motorcycle with Registration Number R 167 OH. Investigation ongoing
16. FAKE KIDNAP VICTIM/RECOVERY OF STOLEN/DIVERTED GOODS: On 19/12/2022, Operatives of the Command arrested a company driver by name Peter Iheanyi ‘m’ 35years who staged his own kidnap with one Kelvin and two others at large. On 23/12/2022, the suspect led the operatives to Umo-Okoro in Imo State to recover 562 power cooking oil valued a million. Efforts are ongoing to retrieve the remaining 438 power cooking oil and arrest other two suspect at large.
17. ARREST OF A NOTORIOUS CULTIST AND RECOVERY OF STOLEN VEHICLE: On 19/12/2022, at about 1340hrs, acting on credible intelligence, DPO Ahoada Division, led a Joint Operation Ahoada-section to East-West Road, close to the promise fast food along East-West Road, Ahoada, where one Happy Webber ‘m’ of Okoma II, was arrested and one Lexus Jeep with Registration Number PHC 194 AQ, suspected to have been stolen, recovered from him, the suspect who is second in command to one VIP, a notorious Greenlander Cult Kingpin, responsible for the killing of soldier, on 29th September 2022, at Ochiba Community, investigation ongoing.
18. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECT/RECOVERY OF FIREARM: On 24/12/2022 at about 2230hrs, Operatives attached to Elelenwo Division while on routine patrol along Odani Street, intercepted one Olom Marcel ‘m’. Upon search, one locally made pistol was recovered, investigation is in process to arrest other of his gang members and upon conclusion of investigation will be charge to court.
19. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECT/RECOVERY OF FIREARM: On 25/12/2022, Men of undercover attached to Elimgbu Division upon receipt of complaint of a robbery incident arrested one Amos Uche Agala ‘m’ 29 years who robbed one Esther Friday ‘f’ on Christmas day. One locally made pistol and one dagger were recovered from him. Investigation on going to arrest his cohorts.
20. ABDUCTION/RESCUE OF VICTIMS: On 27/12/2022 at about 0515hrs Operatives of Ahoada division received distressed call in a case of abduction of a prominent personality name withheld was abducted in Ihuaba in Ahoada East Local Government Area by seven armed men, on receipt of the information a patrol team of JTF Ahoada, swung into action and arrested the hoodlums and recue the victim along Abua Road Ahoada in a Toyota Sienna Car, without Registration Number, and invaded the house of the victim son name withheld of the same address and gave him matchete cuts on his body, suspects were arrested namely one Ogboka Jones ‘m’ 45yrs, Bright Christian ‘m’ 41yrs, Ugorji Williams ‘m’ aged 36yrs old, John Samuel ‘m’ 38yrs, Daniel Ovua ‘m’ aged 31yrs old. Exhibit recovered, one pump action Gun, one locally made double Barrel Gun, four locally made single Barrel long Guns with Twenty Four rounds of live cartridges. Investigation ongoing.
21. ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECT/RECOVERY OF FIREARM: On 28/12/2022 at about 2100hrs while responding to a distress call of a robbery incident happening at No. 63 Ilaobuchi Street, Mile one Diobu, a Police patrol team arrested one Josiah Sunday ‘m’ AKA Bobby Age 22yrs. Upon being searched, he was found to be in possession of a Makorov pistol loaded with four rounds of 0.9x18mm live ammunition. Efforts are on top gear to arrest other fleeing suspects.
The commissioner of Police, Rivers State Command, CP. Okon Effiong Okon, appreciates residents of the State for their collaboration with the Police which has yielded the successes recorded so far. He reassures residents that the Police will continue to keep the peace and sustain efforts at ensuring effective prevention and control of crime in the state.Thanks and God bless you.
Watch CP Okon Effiong Okon explaining measures put in place to safeguard lives and properties of Rivers State residents in 2023: